Although I detest the implications behind Valentines Day, I love to bake and eat the goodies that come with it. I made these for the cast of “The Mouse that Roared” and my family and they went over exceptionally well. It also didn’t hurt that they were pomegranate and that particular fruit was mentioned in the show (The Mouse that Roared) many times.
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 1 Box of Funfetti cake mix (plus everything listed on the back needed to make the cupcakes)
Directions for the cupcakes:
Follow the instructions on the box and make the cupcakes. A box of funfetti cake mix should make 24 cupcakes. Let cool.
Ingredients for the pomegranate filling:
- 1 Jar of Pomegranate Jelly (11 oz)
- 2 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- Mix with food processor or mixer until smooth and thoroughly mixed.
- Once cupcakes have cooled completely, cut a round plug out of each cupcake. If you don’t have a cupcake corer, you can use a sharp knife or apple corer, but be sure keep the plug round and evenly cut. Set the plugs aside to use later.
- Pipe the pomegranate filling into each cupcake center. Leave a little bit of room at the top if covering with a plug.
- Take the plugs you removed and close each hole. Tip: You can pull a little piece of cake off the plug to make it fit better. Or you can simply cover the hole with frosting.
Ingredients for the pomegranate buttercream frosting:
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 5 -6 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate Jelly
- Red Food Coloring (Optional)
Directions for the pomegranate buttercream frosting:
- Place butter and jelly in a mixing bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Cream butter and jelly until well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time until you reach desired consistency. Don’t let it get too thick.
- If you are not satisfied with the pink color from the jelly add in a drop or two of red food coloring to intensify it.
- Pipe onto cupcakes and enjoy!
Note: Don’t forget there is cream cheese in the cupcakes so you’ll want to refrigerate them.