- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced mushrooms
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
In a large saucepan, bring water and barley to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is partially cooked (do NOT drain).
Meanwhile, in a soup kettle, saute onion, celery, and carrots in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, carrots, tomato paste and barley mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in parsley, salt and pepper.
Yield: 10 Servings