Ingredients for Wonton Wrappers:
Recipe makes approximately 72 wonton squares.
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Mix in the water.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Create a well in the center of the mixture and slowly pour in the egg and water. Mix well. If the mixture is too dry, increase the amount of water one teaspoon at a time until pliable dough has formed.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until elastic. Cut dough into two separate balls. Cover the balls with a damp cloth for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Cut each ball into four equal pieces. Roll the pieces into 10 1/2 by 10 1/2 inch squares. Cut each into nine 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 inch squares. Use in any recipe that calls for wonton wrappers.
Note: If you wish to skip this step, pre-made wonton wrappers are available for purchase at grocery stores. Buying pre-made wontons will save you a substantial amount of time.
- 1 box frozen spinach
- 1 cup chopped squash (Can use zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, or something similar)
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 cup of cilantro chopped
- 1 cup silken tofu
- kosher salt and pepper
- Wonton Wrappers
- Heat a pan on med-high with olive oil. Then add the spinach, butternut squash, and onions with a little kosher salt and sauté until the water has evaporated. Take out and cool.
- Now add all the other ingredients (excluding the wonton wrappers) and mix well. There is no need to add salt to the dumplings as the sauce will have plenty.
- Now take your wonton wrapper and put a small quarter size dollop of the mixture into the middle of the wonton wrapper, using some water wet the edges, now bring one side over to the top to make a purse and press together to seal.
- You can either fry the dumplings immediately or freeze and save them for single servings later on.
- Frying Directions: In the hot pan with olive oil put the dumplings in flat side down and fry them until golden brown (keep checking) now add a 1/4 cup of water and cover for a couple min until they are cooked fully and all the water has evaporated.
- From Frozen: In a hot pan with a little olive oil, add dumplings with a splash of water. Cover and let steam. The water will start to evaporate and the dumplings will turn golden-brown. When dumplings are a golden color they are done.
Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- Dash of sesame oil
Mix all ingredients together.
When ready to serve: Put dumplings on plate and drizzle with some sauce or simply mix dumplings and sauce together and enjoy.